4.10.2020

celebration

I did a few things today.  Simple things.  I have been participating in the statewide lockdown for a long time now.  I was very scared at first.  I'm still fearful.  There is no reason for me to go out for anything but work or exercise.  Work has been a daily venture since the lockdown began.  Exercise has been moved indoors.  Until today.  One of my projects started before the lockdown began, but didn't really gather steam until just after things began to shutdown.  That project was a bike build.  I ordered the frame, got the specs for the components and started ordering things.  Those things didn't start to be delivered for the most part until after I was informed that I should probably only venture out for work.  Today was the first day I had off of work since the bike was built.  I had planned to simply take it out for a quick ride.  That is what I did.  However, during my shower, I realised I needed some soap.  I had enough to get cleaned up.  But because I had already left the house, I left again.  This time, I was on my old commuter bike.  I equipped myself with some comfortable street clothes, a helmet, and a mask.  I gathered my backpack and bike lock and set off.  Quickly, I remembered the joy of riding.  I have been riding for a long time now.  I have ridden several different surfaces, styles, and for many different purposes.  But I had forgotten the simple joy of just riding.  Just like a real person on a bike.  After I got my soap, I did some things.  A few things.

I unzipped my sweatshirt so that it would blow in the wind like a cape.  I have done similar things before.  When I was in Wyoming, I did this with my hi-viz vest one day.  Just a random hero flying around with my cape in the wind.  It is like a constant hello to everybody that sees me.  All that movement.  I love it.  With my mask on, I felt great.

I bought four Snickers bars.  This is similar to something that I heard about Chris Horner.  Apparently, he would pack his pockets full of Snickers and ride for hours.  I don't really have a great affinity for Horner.  But he's a bald guy.  And I have heard that he is sort of a weird guy.  So, good on him for that.  With my own stash of Snickers, I felt like I could ride all day.

I put my hands on the flat bar of the bar, leaned forward and grinded up a hill.  I was trying to look and ride like Fausto Coppi.  I haven't done that in a long time.  I haven't tried to imitate a pro rider for years.  It is very fun.  I was so happy to have a small moment of childish entertainment.

I just rode for a bit.  I heard my old commuter bike making sounds and thought, "I can fix that.  I know what that sound is and I think I know how to make it stop."  This is the bike I started riding about three years ago.  Back then, simple noises would have been frustrating.  It would have been a source of confusion as I had to consider if it was normal or if it was something I needed to bring to the attention of a mechanic at my local shop.  It has been a while since I heard the same sounds and I had no small amount of pride that my entire view of those sounds had changed.

I am still quite fearful for my own health and the safety of my live-in girlfriend who is in a high risk group.  But I am immeasurably thankful for today.

love always,
Samuel

No comments:

Post a Comment